In 2017, India initiated the process of preparing its Sixth National Report (6NR) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). The Government of India has ensured that the 6NR process identifies and includes key stakeholders from all sectors and regions, and that an adequate number of stakeholder consultations are held to collect data on the progress towards the implementation of India’s National Biodiversity Action Plan (NBAP) including its 12 National Biodiversity Targets (NBTs).
Click here https://goo.gl/mpsL34 to read about India's nationwide participative and inclusive approach to develop its 6NR, during the different stages of the national reporting process. Also access various templates and knowledge products used by the Government of India during the 6NR preparation process.
Key Outcomes include:
- Approximately 400 stakeholders participated in the five regional workshops, including government officials of all 29 provincial states, and representatives of national level institutions, civil society organizations, academia and industry.
- The stakeholder consultations served a dual purpose of seeking inputs for 6NR, as well as, heightening and reinforcing awareness and commitment of relevant stakeholders towards the implementation of NBAP, NBTs, and SDGs.
- The regional stakeholder consultations received extensive media coverage. Using social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter helped raise awareness about India’s NBAP and NBTs. This led to several relevant stakeholders contributing to the 6NR process through India’s 6NR web portal.
- For the five regional workshops held in 2017, the Central Government and State governments contributed USD $ 600,000 in-kind co-finance. UNDP India provided additional funds from its core resources for these workshops.
- To support the 6NR process at the state-level through multiple stakeholder consultations, MoEFCC provided financial and technical assistance of US$ 100,000 to the state governments.
This best practice has been repurposed from the stakeholder engagement video shared by the Government of India and UNDP India during SBSTTA- 21 (2017). Click here https://goo.gl/mpsL34 to read more.